SmartSteps recruits bilingual personnel including English mother tongues, many from the UK, for international companies. Many of our candidates are British so we must discuss Brexit and its implications.
As Brits and EU citizens, Freedom of Movement (“FOM”) allows you to live in another EU country; work as an employee or be self-employed; run a business; and also provide services cross-border and there is also mutual recognition of professional qualifications. Brexit spells the end of FOM!
- There is an outreach meeting at the British Embassy, Paris on 29 April at 6.30pm. You must book tickets! Here is the link.
- The new leave date is 31st October 2019. The UK may leave the EU before this date if an agreement can be reached earlier, on the first of the month after ratification.
- If the UK has not left before, it will take part in EU elections in May. As most readers are “remainers”, you know what to do at the ballot box! If you are a Brit that has recently acquired French nationality, you are eligible to vote in EU elections, whether the UK leaves or not and new French citizens have up to 16/5 to ensure they are on the electoral role. Sign up for elections.
- Once Britain leaves, with or without a deal, the French will introduce a new system of residence cards, and the Prefecture has put on hold their system of applying for carte de séjours.
- Stay in touch via the Living in France Guide found on www.gov.uk/
- There are no firm details about what will happen to Brits in France post-Brexit but prior to 26/03/1995 and FOM to obtain a “Carte de Séjour” you had to have an employment contract and accommodation.
Below are links to sites providing some clarity:
“Applying for French nationality” is a Facebook group. Members share experiences, no matter their personal situations.
RIFT www.remaininfrance.org raises awareness of the potential effects of Brexit on UK citizens living in the EU & campaigns for the preservation of all current rights. RIFT is pro-Europe, against Brexit and is a forum where members support each other through their community.
WE WILL UPDATE THIS DOCUMENT WHEN NEW INFORMATION COMES OUR WAY.
LAST REVISED 18/04/2019