Brexit, Europe, France, UK

BREXIT for British citizens working in France

SmartSteps recruits Human Resource, Business Development, Marketing, Operations & Logistics, International Trade and Office Management personnel for companies in France, often fluent English speakers including mother tongues, many British. Here we discuss Brexit and its implications.

As British (“Brit”) & EU citizens, Freedom of Movement (“FOM”) allowed for living, studying and working in any EU country and mutual recognition of professional qualifications. Brexit ended the above! Before reading further, we advise all Brit in France (“FR”) to research their own unique situation (see links at end document.


  • 01/10/2021 –
    • All Brit will be expected to have a residency card irrespective of their date of arrival in FR. 
    • For FR travel companions to the UK: border control will no longer accept EU/FR ID cards, you must have a passport.


  • 01/07/2021 – All Brit living in FR before 31/12/2020 should have requested a “withdrawal agreement” residence permit. Brexit – Demande de Titre de Séjour 
  • 26/04/2021 – The EU parliament voted in the EU/UK Free Trade Agreement (“FTA”).
  • 01/01/2021 – The UK became a third country.
  • 31/12/2020 – the UK/EU Transition period ends. 
  • 30/12/2020 – a FTA between the EU/UK is approved by UK parliament. In full the EU/UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement.
  • 01/02/2020 – Brit in FR had their rights enshrined in the Withdrawal Agreement (“WA”), an international treaty.  It means Brit currently living and/or working in FR have the right of residence, to work, to buy a home, to run a business and social security rights.
  • 31/01/2020 – The UK left the EU and entered the transition period ending 31/12/2020. 

Post-Transition Period reciprocal advantages will end, notably:

    • The right to work in the EU without a work permit.
    • The right to study in the EU (the UK has opted out of  the European Action Scheme for the Mobility of University Students “ERASMUS”,
    • Onward FOM within the EU has ended. Residence cards cover your host country only,
    • Mutual recognition of professional qualifications has ended for new arrivals to EU. For those already in FR your qualification will continue to be recognised but only in FR, where the decision was issued (or the country where the decision was issued, if you are a frontier worker), if you applied for recognition,
    • After one year of residency, your UK driving licence should be exchanged for a FR one,
    • The European Health Insurance Card will no longer be valid. If you work in FR after a period of 3/6 months (exact length of time to be verified) you should be on the FR social security system.
    • If you use a car, check your insurance coverage for both EU/UK. FR drivers in UK are required to have an insurance green card.
    • Visas for stays superior to 90 days will be required,
    • Frontier workers already resident in FR can continue to live in FR and work in border countries. You will be able to apply for a document from the country you work in certifying you are a frontier worker.
    • To live in FR any future spouse/partner non-EU citizen will have to apply as a third country citizen. Equally Brit returning to the UK with their non-Brit partners will have to comply with UK national immigration law.
    • Brit in FR (without a second EU nationality) have lost the right to vote in municipal and EU elections. Those outside the UK for more than 15 years are unable to vote anywhere!
    • Now the UK has left the EU, FR will reintroduce residence cards. Brit in FR prior to 31/12/2020 have until 01/07/2021 to apply. All Brit should have a residency card as of 01/10/2021 irrespective of their date of arrival. Residency permits – French Gov Information site. The card you are issued will depend on your personal situation.
      • All UK nationals legally resident in FR on 31/12/2020 will need to apply for a new residence permit under the WA. The new cards for those covered by the WA agreement will include the words “accord de retrait” (Agreement on the withdrawal of the UK from the EU).
      • If you already have a residency card you will be able to exchange it (free of charge) for the new WA residence permit.
    • Apart from the above it is also important to research: the validity of your passport, pet passports will no longer be valid, checking out rules for non-Brit family members if you decide to return to live in the UK. 

Useful links:

Working across the border

04/03/2021 – In the link below there is much precious information for cross border workers and for anyone who hasn’t yet regularised their situation following Brexit: British Embassy Paris – Voisins Voices-Working across the border special edition

  1. EU-UK Friendship Group
  2. France rights
  3. RIFT
  4. British in Europe
  5. UK Government Living in France Guide
  6. UK Government Guidance to Living in Europe – 3 July 2020
  7. French Government Brexit page for UK citizens
  8. British in France
  9. Britannique, je réside en France
  10. No deal – quelles conséquences pour les entreprises françaises?
  11. Un outil d’auto-diagnostic sur le Brexit à destination des entreprises
  12. The Connexion – French News and View in English
  13. French version of the Withdrawal Agreement
  14. RIFT Report in PDF
  15. Your Europe: Help and Advice for EU citizens and their family
  16. EU publications on Brexit



Comments are closed.